THE CORPORATIONS OF KINGSTON AND NIAGARA
History is a chronicle of half-remembered events.
1. Why did Simcoe wish to create two corporations?
2. Why did he urge speed in approving the proposal?
3. While Simcoe disliked democracy and elections, he recognized that there was something special about both. What?
4. Identify and explain the inconsistency that exists between what Simcoe wants and how he intends to achieve it?
5. Why was Portland so negative regarding Simcoe's proposal?
6. Explain: (a) fritter down his direct power; (b) another dashed endeavour; (c) eventually lead to independence; (d) wholly inapplicable to the colony; (e) obstruct government measures; (f) forestall its absolute appropriation; (g) vigilant border police; (h) ex officio members; (i) aversion to democracy; (j) a competent tract of ground; (k) .
7. (a) What did Simcoe mean when he said he intended to create a colony which was "the perfect image and transcript" of Britain? (b) Indicate Portland's argument opposing this idea.
8. Simcoe responded to this rejection in his "most obsequious and subservient manner." (a)What does this mean? (b)What does it tell you about Simcoe?
9. (a) Why did Simcoe suggest the need for a treaty with the United States? (b) To what is this similar today?
10 In this instance, Simcoe was annoyed by the tendency of the United States to act arbitrarily. Explain.
Copyright © 2013 Website Administrator