SIMCOE AND SALT
History is economics in action.
Vocabulary: inhibit, pitchman, salutary, commodity, Homer, Plato, illicit, insatiable, brine, influx.
1.Why was salt so important to the pioneers?
2. (a) Why was salt smuggled into the province from the United States?(b) Why was every effort made to put an end to such smuggling?
3. Why do you think the Native peoples believed salt licks had mystical properties?
4. What did Simcoe mean by "injure their constitutions"?
5. What is the meaning of the expression, "back to the salt mines?"
6. Explain: (a) got off the ground; (b) accompanied by the ghost; (c) unstable metal; (d) a cash crop.
Copyright © 2013 Website Administrator