ONE KINGDOM - DIVISIBLE
History shapes the world in which we live..
1. What was meant by "A neighbour that keeps us in awe is not always the worst of neighbours."
2. Why did the new found "feelings of self-confidence" weaken ties between the 13 Colonies and the mother England?
3. Why did British soldiers stationed in America suddenly become a burden rather than a benefit to the Americans?
4. Great Britain attempted to restore "the old balance of power." (a) What is 'a balance of power' and why did Britain wish to restore it? (b) Why would this lead to a constitutional crisis?
5. Justify the argument that the American Revolution was not a revolution but a rebellion.
6. How did George III rationalize the loss of the American empire?
7. Explain: (a) salutary neglect; (b) British laws languished; (c) indifferently enforced by a benevolent or careless home government; (d) not to tear down tyranny so much as to protect their turf; (e) doubtful history; (f) effective propaganda; (g) put into an armour and an attitude; (h) birthright was under siege; (i) keep this country the sanctuary of liberty; (j) slavery is a weed that grows in any soil. (k) glove on the mailed fist; (l) red tape; (m) hard-nosed policy; (n) reduced to comparative ciphers; (o) lost its ability to overawe the colonials.
8. Reconstruct the chronology of critical events that led to the creation of the United States of America.
9. The defeat of France in Canada fostered freedom for the 13 Colonies in two ways. Explain.
10. Defend the argument that the Americans did not really mean 'No Taxation Without Representation.'
11. Assess the importance of the statement that American discontent produced not only mobs but a militia.
12. Account for Britain's changes to the Quebec Act and why did they infuriate the Americans?
13. 8.At the peace negotiations no one spoke for Canada. (a) Why? (b) Discuss the implications of this.
14. What techniques did Benjamin Franklin use as a negotiator in his attempt to win Canada from Britain?
15. How could the 'descendants of His Majesty's Yankees' became more British than the British?
16. Explain the significance of the statement 'History is like that, very chancy.'
17. Name and explain the figure of speech: "your navy nothing but rotten timber."
18. The Seven Years' War is described as 'the curtain raiser' for the American Revolution. Why?
19. Compare Turnball's painting of the death of Montgomery with West's painting of the death of Wolfe under Wolfe and Montcalm, narrative Debate or Debunkers. What do you notice?
Copyright © 2013 Website Administrator