LOOKING LITTLE LIKE A HERO
History reveals the truth of the human spirit.
1. Explain (a) "We have seen them tried and they are sterling." (b) If good fortune awaited Wolfe, it was well disguised; (c) a professional triumph; (d) history held its breath; (e) Wolfe's pronouncement did not augur well for the enterprise; (f) soldiers inured to war; (g) he had asked much of fortune; (h) he was living on his nerves; (i) the execution was unblemished; (j) written under the immediate lash of frustration and dismay; (k) he lacked the rare gift of a general: that of holding onto his brigadiers.
2. A "hearts and minds" policy had to do with the way Wolfe might have reacted towards the French Canadian civilians. (a) What do you think it would have entailed?
3. (a)What lasting impact do you think Wolfe's decision to devastate the countryside would have on the Canadians?
4. Why do you think Wolfe's defeat at Montmorency led to further destruction of civilian property?
5. "This bombardment served no useful military purpose. This whole policy of calculated destruction of Quebec made no military sense whatsoever." Why then do you think Wolfe ordered it?
6. Wolfe was distressed by disagreements with his brigadiers. What caused them and who was responsible?
7. Why do you think the brigadiers "were surprised" that Wolfe accepted their recommendation?
8. Why do you think the idea of an attack "intrigued" Wolfe?
9. (a) Explain the name 'Forlorn Hope'; (b) Why is the name appropriate?
10. What made Wolfe so apprehensive about the assault?
11. Explain how in this narrative "History reveals the truth of the human spirit."
12. "I cannot get at Montcalm without spilling a torrent of blood." What does this tell you about Wolfe?
13. How was the British general able to determine whether his orders were being followed?
14. Why would a combination of audacity and calculation be a fine mixture for a military commander?
15. Which style of leadership did Wolfe and Montcalm use? Which do you think would be the most effective? Why?
16. What supreme issue was at stake?
17. What does "buoyed by the priceless treasure of surprise" mean?
18. "Destiny decided othewise." Define destiny and explain how it "decided otherwise."
Copyright © 2013 Website Administrator